goodness

Wednesday, February 10, 2010


hot cocoa avec homemade marshmallows - yummy

When my handsome (and oh so friggin' smart) cowboy emerges from the basement (with Oliver in tow) it's become a ritual, here at Black Street, for us to indulge in fat mugs of hot cocoa at the kitchen island. I use 1% milk, a few tbsp. of cocoa powder, a few more of sweetened Nestle's Quik and a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips. Whisk exuberantly until frothy and steaming and top with a big marshmallow or two (or three).

The Poppies - Sighing - Wow !! please visit and check out tons & tons of fabulous creative talent. Block off a big ol' chunk of time and let's all go surfin'.

This current bedside book - Dog Years by Mark Doty beautifully written and speaks (or pierces) directly into my heart, about dog love. I plan to send Mark a fan email today I'm loving this book so, so much. Reminds me of my own biggest dog love - my big red lug Jake. Miss ya Noodle.

You all know how much I LOVE to cook. Well loving to cook and cooking for someone you love and then having them LOVE the lovingly prepared love that you just cooked ... Well !! What could be better than that ?? Chicken and dumplings from the New Basics cookbook - he who is adored, hasn't had this yummy dish since long ago when he was still a boy and his grandmother made it for him. I LOVE listening to him purring (along with his handycat pal Oliver), across from me at the dining room table, as he enjoys each evenings latest love concoction.

oh yeah ... and HBO's The Gathering Storm (a movie available at our library) - Fantastic !!! loved it ! ... everything about it and especially wonderful to watch this type of movie with my history professor. Who knew Churchill was such a cool, creative and tres lovable guy ??


chicken n' dumplings

9 comments:

  1. Homemade marshmallows!
    I am in awe.
    Looks so tempting,
    I want ot steal the cup with all that goodness in it.
    It has been snowing all day here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the movie...I put it in my queue! Love this kind of movie. Marshmallows?...homemade?...do share your recipe. Are they gelatin free?
    They look yummy. Your are a good cook...lucky cowboy!
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The homemade marshmallows were not made by me (although it's something on my list of "would like to make". They were a gift in my V Day package from MLou and came from this fairly local sweet thing shop.

    www.sweetthingsmarshmallows.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade marshmallows! Holy nylabones!
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a typically North-East of England dinner! I assume those are real (ie suet) dumplings? Wonderful, real winter warmers, but I think I put on a pound or two just by looking at their picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm...now I'm craving dumplings.

    life is good. enjoy.

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why can't we have more movies like "The Gathering Storm?" I loved it and wish it had taken us through the war, etc. THAT would have taken five or six DVDs. Winston Churchill must have been complicated, tough, but endearing. I hope we get another movie lke this soon, but they are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Martha ! Did you know that HBO did make a sequel called Into the Storm - we have it on order from the library ... can't wait !

    www.imdb.com/title/tt0992993/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could SO use some chickn'dumplins right about now.
    Perhaps it could fit into my DSS? Hmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.