beauty & evolution

Saturday, May 7, 2011


beauty - Cavallini Butterfly Calendar - July 2008

The events in our lives happen in a sequence of time,
but in their significance to ourselves, they find their own order ...
the continuous thread of revelation

Eudora Welty

a continuous thread of revelation ... evolution
& I'm hoping for a quiet simple revolution ... in me

I'm taking a break from blogging.
Updates of my work & etsy shop can be found here


about writing Morning Pages page 11 the Artists Way by Julia Cameron

All that angry, whiny, petty stuff that you write down in the morning stands between you and your creativity. Worrying about the job, the laundry, the funny knock in the car, the weird look in your lover's eye–this stuff eddies through our subconscious and muddies our days. Get it down on paper.

The morning pages are the primary tool of creative recovery. As blocked artists, we tend to criticize ourselves mercilessly. Even if we look like functioning artists to the world, we feel we never do enough and what we do isn't right. We are the victims of our own internalized perfectionist, a nasty internal and eternal critic, the Censor, who resides in our left brain and keeps up a constant stream of subversive remarks that are often disguised as the truth. The Censor says wonderful things like: "You call that writing? what a joke. You can't even punctuate. If you haven't done it by now you never will. You can't even spell. What makes you think you can be creative ?" And on and on ...

My own nasty Censor has recently begun invading my blog space and I find myself feeling increasingly self conscious here and that's not good. I'm sure I will continue to post photographs of my life on a fairly regular basis but I'm thinking I'll be pouring my words, thoughts and feelings into a more private space - my morning pages. It's an evolution that makes complete sense to me at this moment and here's hoping that it might just lead to a little ol' revolution.

It feels sad & strange to say goodbye because in many ways I do believe this blog has saved my life. Thank you to you, you know who you are, those of you who held me up when I was falling, who comforted me through so much grief and sadness. Who made me "snort" & smile & laugh. Thank you ! Thank you ! Merci !!

8 comments:

  1. although i will deeply miss you and the pets and your wonderful words, i truly 100% understand your need to seek your own personal revolution. ((hugs)and the very best of good wishes my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tail wags + see you soon.
    ~moose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for your continued journey, Susan. May your writing flourish in its new home, and may your photos and your work and your creativity flourish wherever you find for them to blossom. I'll miss seein' you every day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Susan....I haven't stopped by here in awhile...life gets in the way..but felt the need this morning to check in on you...goodness! I wish you godspeed in your journey. I have done the Julia Cameron morning pages more than 10 years ago and loved the entire exercise. Wish I could have kept it up. You are AMAZING and will find it VERY cathartic, I predict. I need to read old posts to get caught up with you. Love you, as always! This is YOUR blog and you can contribute OR NOT, when and IF you see fit! We will be waiting....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we're getting up a petition right now to bring you back to blogging. We think you should have a week off, that's all. We refuse to be understanding and compassionate about it!

    Although Millie says that you should appoint Oliver as your stand-in, and get him to post daily. She'd like that very much indeed, she says.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See you when you come back! Have a happy non-blogging holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll miss your wise words and beautiful posts. Take a break, we all need one sometimes, but please do come back!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.